The idea for this project came from me noticing the landscape of how fathers are represented in hip hop. Outside of Will Smith’s classic “Just the Two Of Us” and a handful of others, the majority of the records in hip hop that speak on fatherhood have a negative connotation. I wanted to change that narrative, as it’s not the only one that exists. Myself being a father, there are a ton of others like me who are engulfed in hip hop and are also 24 hour a day dads, whose kids mean the world to them. I wanted to showcase that. I started this project in august of 2019 as one song, and it grew into an entire project within a week, and I’ve been sitting on this idea since the summer/fall, waiting for Father’s Day weekend to come around.
This is a conceptual EP, where each song is a story that holds hands with the ones before and after it, all about my life as a kid, growing up with my father always in my life, and how that’s now shaped me as a father myself. It’s named “Milestones”, after my son Miles, and also signifying the milestones that us dads reach in life as we grow into fatherhood. This project is solely about growing Up with a dad, being a dad, and the importance of it all. To all the fathers out here who are lovingly and actively doing the work, this one is for us.
01. Memory Serves Me (prod. by 1st Official)
02. At Least I Got One (prod. by Marc Nfinit)
03. Turning 10 (prod. by Marc Nfinit)
04. Duffle Bag Weekends (feat. Ashtin Martin) (prod. by Tuamie)
05. Eyes Wide Shut (prod. by Marc Nfinit)
06. A Song For Fathers (prod. by !llmind)
07. Duly Noted (prod. by Aaron Hardin)
08. Memory Serves Me (instro) (prod. by 1st Official)
09. At Least I Got One (instro) (prod. by Marc Nfinit)
10. Turning 10 (instro) (prod. by Marc Nfinit)
11. Duffle Bag Weekends (instro) (feat. Ashtin Martin) (prod. by Tuamie)
12. Eyes Wide Shut (instro) (prod. by Marc Nfinit)
13. Duly Noted (instro) (prod. by Aaron Hardin)